Florida Women's Law Group
The Importance Of Client Participation In A DivorceAuthor: Florida Women's Law Group
Date: Nov 08 2021
The Importance of Client Participation in a Divorce
Divorce is difficult and can be overwhelming and unsettling. While it can be hard, it is so important that you are an active participant in your divorce case. There are times when you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend it isn’t happening but to ensure things go smoothly and to get the best possible outcome you need to participate. You will have to live with the decisions made in your divorce and you are the only one who knows what you want for your future. Being active in your case will get you there.
How You Can be Active in Your Case
During your consultation we will review with you what we will need from you to best represent you in a divorce. Here are ways you can participate to help your case:
- The first step is providing as much information as possible to us on your finances, children and marriage. The more we have to work with the better we can represent you. If you have already started divorce proceedings, we will need your case number and any information you have to date. If there are any open cases against you or your spouse, we need to know. This includes domestic violence, restraining orders, incidents involving your children and any other police-related activity.
It is also helpful to have information on your children such as: where they go to school, after-school activities, schedules and the amount of participation by your spouse. This helps in developing your child support and custody portion of the divorce.
- We will give you a list of financial documents that we need you to provide. You may not be able to locate all of them but get as many of those as you can. This gives us an accurate picture of your financial situation and helps us strategize for alimony and child support. The sooner you gather these documents, the better. Once the initial filing happens, statements go missing and passwords are changed on accounts leaving you without access to what you need.
- Don’t withhold information from us. Everything eventually comes out and the better prepared we are the better we can represent you. If you hide something and it comes out, it may be too late for us to do anything, and it can really hurt your case. If there is an issue that is important to you or something you feel strongly about, share this with us as soon as possible. If we are in mediation and you suddenly decide that you have to have the house no matter what and we haven’t prepared for that it puts us at a disadvantage.
- Communication is so important. We need you to communicate with us. If you have questions or concerns, address them with your attorney. If we ask for information from you, respond in a timely manner. There are court-ordered deadlines that we must adhere to and if you have ignored our requests, it can really hurt your case.
- Try and keep your emotions in check. Divorce is hard and you will get very emotional during the process. You will have days where you are angry, sad, heartbroken and overwhelmed. That is all to be expected and we can talk you through all your emotions. Do not let your emotions get the best of you and then do something you will regret that will affect your case. Do not send angry texts or emails to your spouse in the heat of the moment. This is not the time to leave scorch the Earth voice mails If they say or do something that upsets you, do not immediately fire off an emotional response. Your spouse will save those and use them against you in court. Find an outlet for your anger and try to remain level-headed.
Divorce is complicated, emotional and stressful. We will do everything we can to get you where you need to be but to be successful, we need your input and participation. This is your future we are fighting for and we want the best for you.
At Florida Women’s Law Group, we have the experience, resources and skills to provide you with empathetic and compassionate legal service. We are here to provide legal advice and the assistance you may need throughout your divorce. We represent women just like you to help you get through this and onto a better and happier life.